A host family provides a safe, warm and welcoming environment for students who are here for full immersion in Irish culture and the English language. The students may be juniors or adults. Our juniors are usually short stay students who are here for one week and are always placed in groups of 2 or more.
What are the requirements for a host family?
- One bed per student.
- Full board: Breakfast, 5 piece packed lunch and dinner.
- Half board: Breakfast and dinner.
- To include students as part of the family; treat them as a guest, not a lodger.
- To converse with the students and perhaps include them on family outings e.g. a walk on the beach.
- To enforce the 9.30 curfew for students under 18 years old.
- Collecting students from the school upon their arrival to Bray
- Bringing the students to school on their first and last day (this will not be required every day, only the first to ensure they know the way to the school and the last so they can take their luggage with them).
What is the application process like?
Once you fill out the application form at the bottom of this page we will get in contact with you regarding a home visit. A ‘Home Visit’ is where one of our staff members makes an informal visit to your home to speak to you about the host family process and to view the room(s) where students will stay. This call is not an inspection, it’s just a chance for us to get to know you and your family as well as an opportunity for you to ask us questions about the hosting process.
After we have visited you and you are happy to become a host family we will add you to our database of host families. When students book with us and require hosting we will then contact you to offer you a placement. You are then free to accept or reject this placement (perhaps you have holiday plans which conflict with the visit).
When you confirm availability and are happy to take on the placement, we will contact you with the student name, arrival date and placement period with you.
How often will I be asked to host students?
This varies throughout the year with the summer period being our peak season. Remember that you can always reject an offer of placement.
How do I apply to become a host family?
Just click on the application link below to get started!